Wednesday, April 4, 2018

1


I started off with this (1)st part of my long(er) term project because I am a bit enamored by this Swedish DJ, Ehrling. Check him out if you have the time.
 Ehrling, Give Me Summer

As I mentioned in class today, the hyper-real is present in my work because I am working off more or less popular audio-visual equalizers. Either way, there is a formal style to them. Sit through not just After Effects YouTube tutorials, but any Youtube pedagogy will tell you what looks good and bad. Depending on their desire to convince you to comply with whatever standard to better their expertise? or industry, they will say things like, “it looks terrible…but if that’s something you’re going for, that’s up to you.”



When we typically combine the visual and audio, we have things like movies, music videos, and light shows. I’m very interested in the latter two – I don’t know about you, but I’m an extremely visual person when I listen to music. Listening to a wholly bodily consuming song transports me to another part of the universe or point in time, and often I have the urge to create something that is that personal world. While I have explored this to some extent through painting, drawing, sculpture, mixed media, video, and coding, I am still trying to express the visceral through a medium that is engaging and not completely messy or unmessy. (I don’t really like the word ‘balance’ because I feel that its connotations are limiting)

Thanks for reading all the way to this +150 but -350 word blog post if you were intrigued enough by my presentation in class today.












No comments:

Post a Comment