Tuesday, April 17, 2018

2


I decided to put my thoughts about my last project on the back burner for a bit so I could attempt to respond to our second prompt. I'm still trying to wed emotion and sterility, but I think in this short clip I was really thinking about what "resurrection of difference" and "under the spectral light of ethnology" really meant. After reading this week's reading, it seemed that Baudrillard was really trying to drive home that there is absolutely no truth in terms of simulations, which really got me thinking about particle simulations, photography, and specifically Barthes and photography. Maybe I enjoyed Barthes' ideas about deadness and photography too much, because I had trouble trying to not think about him and his ideas when thinking about how to respond to the prompt. Since I saw so much overlap between Barthes and the "resurrection of difference", I decided to include a simulation of a photograph that was of importance to discussion in last term's photography class, and create something different from it to attempt to show how my perception of the photograph is currently being modified, and may change for as long as I decide to create new configurations of it. The thing that I'm kind of unsure of at the moment is where one of my configurations has taken me - it resembles a map of the Philippines. And the shadow/outline of the important explorers is still present. I had no intention of arriving at this kind of colonization output. This project could definitely go a more personal route because I have a lot of thoughts being a Filipino-American, but I think I kind of just wanted to show how a simulation could produce a totally different scenario/reality/idea.







No comments:

Post a Comment